Department of Polymer Engineering was established in 1996 with an aim to provide technical services and manpower to various polymer industries and academic research institutions and national laboratories. A four year undergraduate program, B.Tech in polymer engineering, first of its kind in Tamil Nadu, was started with an intake of 30 students.
The department has adequate infrastructure and well-equipped laboratories and it is empowered with a team of highly qualified faculty members. The programme was accredited by NBA and secured ‘A’ Grade for 5 years from August 2002 & re audited in January 2008 and accredited for 5 years again with effect from 19.7.08.
- To expose students in fundamentals ,design,development ,processing and best practices in polymer science and technology
- To develop analytical and problem-solving abilities
- To develop student's capability to anticipate and manage technological challenges in polymer science and technology
- To provide quality manpower to cater the needs of plastics, rubber, composites, adhesives , coatings and other polymer industries
- To support polymer industries by providing consultancy in new product development and testing
- To create laboratories with world class facilities
Salient Features of the Department
- Accredited by National Board of Accreditation with highest grade.
- Excellent infrastructure with extensive and imported instruments for synthesis of polymers, testing and processing of plastics, rubbers and composites and Moldflow and other software for mould and product design.
- Highly qualified faculty with expertise in diversified polymer fields
- Funded projects from AICTE, DST, DRDO, NRB etc (Rs 1.83 crores).
- World class research facility for the development of high performance polymers , polymer electrolytes , polymer nanomaterials, coatings and nanocomposites ( FTIR, DSC, TGA, DMA, XRD, Electrochemical workstation, Particle size analyzer, Glove box etc.).
- Assured placement for all qualified students.
- Excellent scope for higher studies and research in abroad.
Scope for Employment
Polymer Engineering programme binds the various branches of engineering. Polymer Technologies are the binding forces behind today’s advancements in Engineering and Technology.
A polymer technologist has a scope in number of avenues like aerospace, materials, chemical, mechanical and even into medicine…Entrepreneurs from this area are also highly appreciated due to the flexibility and versatility of the branch.
The passed out students of this branch are placed in,
- Employment in core polymer industries such as Reliance Industries, Futura Polyesters, SRF Limited , Suzlon Co, Anabond India Ltd, Apollo Tyres, Ceat Tyres, GE Plastics, Sumi Motherson Innovative Engg. Ltd and so on
- Employment in software industries such as Infosys, Cognizant solutions, tcs , I-Nautix Accenture and so on
- Higher studies ,viz M.tech , MS and MBA in India and abroad
- Starting their own polymer industry