- Ph.D. (Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Kolkata, India)
- M.Sc. (Visva Bharati University, Santiniketan, India)
- B.Sc (University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India)
- Antioxidant defense system and redox signaling in cancer.
- Post-doctoral Research Associate, Department of Pathology, University, of Illinois, USA.
- Post-doctoral Research Scholar, Dept. of Radiation Oncology, University of Iowa, USA.
Areas Of Research Interest
Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology.
Key Areas of Research:
Cancer biology, mitochondrial biology, free radicals and antioxidant enzymes in cancer research,
identification of novel therapeutic targets.
International: 13; National: Nil
International: 02; National: 01
Key Areas of Research:
- Cancer biology, mitochondrial biology, free radicals and antioxidant enzymes in cancer research, identification of novel therapeutic targets
- Patra S, Bera S, Sinha Roy S, Ghoshal S, Ray S, Basu A, Schlattner U, Wallimann T, Ray M. Progressive decrease of phosphocreatine, creatine and creatine kinase in skeletal muscle upon transformation to sarcoma. FEBS JOURNAL, 275(12); 3236–3247, 2008. (IF 3.139) Citations 11
- Bera S, Wallimann T, Ray S, Ray M. Enzymes of creatine biosynthesis, arginine and methionine metabolism in normal and malignant cells. FEBS JOURNAL, 275(23); 5899–5909, 2008. (IF 3.139) Citations 6
- Bera S, Greiner S, Choudhury A, Dispenzieri A, Spitz DR, Russell SJ, Goel A. Dexamethasone-induced oxidative stress enhances myeloma cell radiosensitization while sparing normal bone marrow hematopoiesis. Neoplasia 12 (12); 980-992, 2010. (IF 5.476) Citations 11
- Maity B, Yang J, Huang J, Askeland RW, Bera S, Fisher RA. Regulator of G protein signaling 6 (RGS6) induces apoptosis via a mitochondrial-dependent pathway not involving its GTPase-activating protein activity. J Biol Chem, 286(2); 1409-1419, 2011. (IF 5.328) Citations 8
- Brown CO, Salem K, Wagner BA, Bera S, Singh N, Tiwari A, Choudhury A, Buettner GR, Goel A. Interleukin-6 counteracts therapy-induced cellular oxidative stress in multiple myeloma by up-regulating manganese superoxide dismutase. Biochem J., 444(3); 515- 527, 2012. (IF 4.897) Citations 6
- Bera S, Jerome-Morais A#, Rachidi W, Gann P A, Diamond A M. The effects of selenium and the GPx-1 selenoprotein on the phosphorylation of H2AX. (#Equal Contribution). Biochim et Biophys Acta, 830(6); 3399-406, 2013. (IF 5.0)
- Bera S, Rosa VD, Rachidi W, Diamond AM. Does a role for selenium in DNA damage repair explain apparent controversies in its use in chemoprevention Mutagenesis, 28(2):127-34. (IF 3.183) Citations 3
Honors and Awards
- Awarded Postdoctoral Fellowship from American Institute of Cancer Research, 2011-2012.